Sunday, May 06, 2007

Progression with A

This weekend was one of the best that I've had with A. Our time was more limited than usual, due to Mattie's 1st communion on Saturday. Spent the majority of the day with the ex and G in Towson. But A was cool about the weekend interruption and the weekend was relatively low key.

Friday, I dragged A to Spider Man 3. I'll admit, I was apprehensive when I saw the reviews (Chicago Sun Times and Washington Post bashed it). A was worried, too. But he and I happened upon the filming of Spider Man 3 on a NY visit so I thought it'd be cool to see the scene in the film. And I love seeing movies on opening night.

A hated it. He wanted his 2 hours back. But, I had lowered my expectations so I thought it was hoky but ok. Bruce Campbell rocked as always. And Thomas Hayden Church made the movie. But A was pissed that Spider Man cried so much.

Dinner was a Brazilian steak house in Fair Oaks mall. It was cool. Meat on swords, how can you go wrong? They sell these restaurants as a guy's place, but in the vein that everything's phallic, it almost seems emasculating to me, that a man, holding a sword, cuts away slices of meat for people to devour. And as if to prove my point, there was one 'guacho' who rushed over to us and offered some white meat, which we refused since we were still tackling our beef. And the look on his face. I would've expected ambivalence. But the waiter seemed disappointed over the wasted trip.

Overall, it's a decent chain restaurant but with so many dining options in the area, I wouldn't rush back. The filet mignon wasn't cooked the way it should've been. Mine was medium well. A was wondering if his cut was really filet mignon. The other meats were good. But dessert was a mess. The place tries too hard. Key lime pie is simple and doesn't need much else. The cook was a moron and liberally doused the plate with mango puree. The taste clash was brutal. I hate places that can't leave dessert well enough alone.

Saturday evening was the Carlyle fiasco but Atlanta guy gave A a huge compliment. In front of everybody, he noted that A is known for being fun and joking around but given his energy, Atlanta guy said he could see how and why A is successful. I've never, never seen a guy compliment another. It's always, 'Hey, axxhole,' or 'hey, homo.' If they don't kid, they don't love. I wonder if Atlanta guy had been looking for a compliment in return. But I was happy for A. It's so rare to get acknowledgement, much less public acknowledgement of your talents.

And Sunday, my lunch with Judy didn't work out so A and I wound up exploring his preferred area of Alexandria and having a late lunch at Eammon's (my new favorite place). Killer fish and chips and you have to love a place that's so irreverent that the saying on the door says 'Thanks to cod.' A Catholic joke, Thanks [be] to God.

Walking around Old Town was perfect. A did have to stop in and quiz a realtor about his desired location. I'm not sure what to think about the realtor's feedback. He indicated that prices are higher than what they're used to seeing for the particular portion of Alexandria that A likes and it's neither a buyer's or seller's market. Not bad until the realtor mentions that homes are under contract within 4 days. That's not what I anticipated hearing and that's the environment that's the most stressful. That means escalation clauses and little chance of home inspection. I'm praying it was an exaggeration but perhaps it wasn't. We'll just have to wait and see.

Despite the fact that we didn't do anything special or maybe because everything was so low-key, it was one of my favorite weekends with A. Maybe we're finally settling into a routine. I like our progression.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home