Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Travel in a nutshell and G

Wrapped up 10 days in Europe with A. The trip alone was fabulous. Barcelona, Haute De Cagne in the Cote D'Azur region and Venice. We ate table-side (counter-side, really) with a cooking legend, Pinocho in Barcelona. He served us at will, from white beans to veal to bakala (no clue how to spell). We had the best coffee in France and superior foie de gras. And Venice introduced me to cuttle fish in squid ink.

In Barcelona, I most enjoyed a breakfast at House of the Cat. They were closing as we ambled up for lunch (2:30p.m.). But we were able to grab coffee and a cheesecake. The tables were set in an orange grove and the surrounding view reminded me of CA with its wide open spaces.

In France, I enjoyed most everything, from a gallant stranger who carried my suitcase 2 flights at the train station, a cordial taxi driver who tipped us off that the Picasso collection was not in Antibes for the summer, the Matisse church in Vance (simplicity is more beautiful than ornate structures), an Irish couple who related the politics of religion and the changing face of Ireland (Mick and Jenny) and Madeline, one of the workers at the Grimaldi Hotel who did our laundry (no charge) and ensured I had coffee and a croissant the day we endured a 10-hour train trip without food and drink.

Venice, I loved St. Mark's Square and the water taxis. The King's Palace and the Ca'D'Oro Gallery. The art was so overwhelming, I had ADD the majority of the time. It was too hard to take in, all at once. The canals were very charming but on warm nights, you could smell bits of New Jersey. Thankfully it wasn't high season when it's really hot.

We did squeeze in a side trip to Monaco, prior to Venice, but it's nothing like you expect. Like Hollywood, it's more glamorous in the movies. Up close, it was boring, just a smattering of high end shops in pretty buildings while scary women with painted faces walked past.

So, travel was great but the trip stressed G out. He's scared of my disappearing and panics if I'm out of his sight. And Gino actually seemed to reassure him, since G saw all my e-cards. Funny, the ex's good behavior. But it's a godsend and I'm grateful.

1 Comments:

Blogger AGW said...

Wow, could you be any more negative?

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home