Monday, May 28, 2007

Fallingwater, the proposal and PA fine dining

A and I finally made it to Fallingwater. We've only talked about it for a year and this Memorial Day weekend, we finally saw it -- one of Wright's greater achievements on the East Coast. Having read The Fountainhead, it drove home what I'd read and I both envied and pitied Wright's clients. The house and servants' quarters were magnificent and dramatically different from the warm intimacy of Kentuck Knob. I'm embarrassed to say that between the two homes: FallingWater over the falls and Kentuck Knob carved into the hillside, I much preferred the smaller home.

Maybe I'm too provincial. Fallingwater is a modern palace after all, a tribute to nature and water but I far preferred the hillside vistas of Kentuck Knob. Funnily enough, Kentuck Knob photographs poorly, I really expected it to be ugly in comparison to Fallingwater. But, while there were many things to love in Fallingwater, the red cypress tones of Wright's smaller house and its grounds were certainly more inviting.

So, this Memorial Day weekend, A proposed. I did wonder if it would happen this weekend, but I didn't know for sure. And of course, I had to run to the bathroom as he was beginning to lead into it (the joys of pregnancy). He says he was nervous but he seemed fine until he got down on his knee. And of course, I was happy. I wish I could have taped what he said since some of it is a blur now. He was incredibly sweet and thoughtful and I've never seen him as flustered as he was in that moment. I remember him saying how he felt like a lesser man without me and I remember us laughing and hugging and his asking my assurance that I said yes.

That was the proposal I've always wanted. It was nice, low key, just the two of us. We had just finished a nice picnic at Ohio-Pyle park (around the corner from Kentuck Knob): chicken salad sandwiches, green apples and overly sweet brownies from the Summit Inn. The sun was blazing hot but the wind was soothing. And I just remember feeling calm....no hesitation like I felt with Porter, no scary crying like that moment with the ex and no 'I wish you hadn't said that' dread like with KS guy (if I could've stuffed those words back in his mouth). A's words were just right. And I should mention that the ring is elegant.

Probably my only frustration about this weekend was the restaurants -- the ones that A picked were good but there's a definite break between fine dining standards in DC (finally!) and PA. Caleigh's in Uniontown was good but our selected desserts were blah and the cappuccino tasted like Crayolas in water. I held out hope that Chez Girard's in Hopwood would be superior since it is a French restaurant but my experience was worse (A will happily protest that his meal was fabulous). The escargot was saltier than I've had and I had to send back the prime rib since it was medium well (and stringy) after I requested medium rare. The kicker was receiving Pampered Chef flyers with the bill. Nice, tacky touch. So I feel like A and I won't have properly celebrated our engagement without hitting Eve's since they do tend to every detail.

I admit, I don't quite know what to do with myself tonight. The condo seems quiet without G and only half my friends know the news though it seems late to call now. The wedding, I don't want to think about too much. Nice, simple, low key. And life with A...and Jack. I'm excited. Nervous about the balancing act between A and G (and Jack), but I'm excited. I think I'll be calling Susy a lot. And El. Life! And A says he wants one more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home