Wednesday, May 30, 2007

MD, florists and house spiders

I've been driving to MD and back after work the past two days and I'm happy for a break (tomorrow). Back is tense, head pounding. Thankfully, baby Jack's movements in my belly help keep me from being in a completely foul, 'I hate everyone,' mood. My mom's hysterectomy has made life interesting.

El and I had to drive all the way to LaPlata Hospital yesterday. This week is the first time I've seen my mom frail. She insisted that El and I not take the time to visit, but we knew that she didn't mean it and it's not like hospitals are fun. There she was in her hospital bed, tired, barely talking. But it was also one of the few times that I've seen her smile. A small, tired smile but a smile all the same.

Normally when my mom smiles, it's a nervous smile. You can see half the time she's thinking of other things. Does she look nice enough, has she cooked enough food, why aren't people eating more than their 2nd helping, etc. El fussed over mom while I kept up the chatter. It was strange to see her so tired but nice to see the smile.

One day later, mom is back to being invincible. Ignoring the doc's directions, she is NOT resting and is cooking food: eggplant and beef jerky. Apparently, her cooking judgement is not what it should be (yes I LOVE eggplant and beef jerky!). Life happens. I brought food anyway from an Italian restaurant. My dad will be happy eating the remaining pasta and baklava.

And Marie (Christopher's in Hayfield) hooked me up with a spectacular arrangement, as always. Men can come and go, but always be good to your hair stylist and florist. Hair stylist, self explanatory. So much can depend on your florist, though, since your florist is essentially your voice, when you're not present. Marie always takes care of me personally (it's been over 10 years) and her generosity and thoughtfulness always show. I think A tires of my desire to cultivate relationships, since I do like repeating but if you find a gold standard, why discard it?

Home now and haven't done much. Strange goings on, generally. News featured a traveller with TB who hit Prague, Rome and Montreal before returning to Atlanta. That traveller must know he wasn't well. And TB is pretty severe. Maybe he knew? And my parents' neighbor (50-years old, I think) has been hospitalized over a spider bite that hasn't healed. Gives you new respect for the house spider.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home