Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Day After Christmas

It's my last day off until New Year's and I still can't sleep well. Up by 5:00a.m., it's making me nuts. This time, I don't have the excuse that I'm in CA and adjusting to the time change.

Christmas seemed to go off without a hitch. El and Desi would be an hour late, which irked me given Desi's penchant for promptness. But both the prime rib and the pork stayed warm and tasted moist (some of the last pork portions were dry but given that the table portions were good, I was happy). My mom enjoyed the centerpiece that I ordered from Christopher's but complained that it was too expensive (I downgraded the price by half, but everything is expensive to my mom) and El and Desi were the comical relief during the gift exchange with El obsessively asking folks if they liked their gift and insisting that everyone try their gift on while Desi served as the peanut gallery.

I seem to have this desire to burn the house down since I discovered an unattended candle this morning and last night I forgot to turn off the Christmas tree lights but all is safe and sound.

Drue gets back this evening and I'll be happy to see him, though I imagine he'll be tired after the flight. G and I will have a good portion of the day together and I'm hoping that we can catch a movie.

The Yannotti family remains toxic. G expressed last night that he was a loser and when I probed, he explained that Gary (his cousin) told him so. I'm not sure if Gary was trying to share a manipulation ploy or if he was just being cruel but either way, I wasn't pleased. Gary's 18, so he knows better by now. I explained to G that when people try to hurt you, it's only because they're messed up.

And G's dad continues to insist that names don't hurt. Ha, nice one. Apparently, Junior called G names and G's dad intervened only to lecture G. So I asked G how he felt and when he replied hurt, I nodded. G proposed talking to his dad to explain that names hurt but I suggested that his dad will believe what he wants and that it was most important for G to know that I agreed with him. So we're back to the 'protect yourself' drills: protect your head and your heart.

I always did believe that families are supposed to rally together. The NY family seems to enjoy picking each other apart, it sickens me (and the many stories are not worth going into; the darkness in that family is overwhelming). Drue worries about his family's history and I'm not going to say it's nice but...his family is pretty healthy, considering their responses: nothing was swept under the rug, all the siblings seem pretty honest. By comparison, my dad's siblings have suffered immensely because only his sister seems to want to talk about family skeletons (emotional abuse). Denial is not a great place to be.

I'm sure G thinks I'm a freak with my emphasis on the condition of his heart: is he happy, is he hurt. But I'm terrified of G's dad weakening him, whether it's telling G that he can't do anything (how f#cked up is that) to telling him that being afraid is wrong. But as silly as it seems, I figure you can't be too careful.

It's foggy outside and I hope it burns off quickly. I hate when you can't see clearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home