Monday, December 18, 2006

The wedding, the family, the whole shebang


One of the craziest weddings that I ever attended was a wedding for one of my ex's friends. Both the bride and groom were Air Force Academy grads, the bride wore chain mail, the bridal procession walked down the aisle to the theme of Star Trek and when it was time to cut the cake, the bride and groom engaged in a full-on cake fight (it was also one of the better weddings that I've attended). This CA wedding was hardly like that. But it was one of the best weddings that I've ever attended.

The bride spoke of love and service, which was a huge surprise. Everyone talks about love but Dani was the first person I've ever seen to mention service, whether it's serving your friends, serving the community or all of the above. She also spoke of accepting her new husband's darkness which again was a surprise. How many of us can say that we truly love and accept our partner's dark side? Which goes to show that Jaymee and Danielle have a mature love, accepting each other's baggage. Murphy's Law, Jaymee's voice is lower so I couldn't hear his vows. But Jaymee and Danielle are a good example of people that are aware, which is inspiring.

I always want to know 'the secret' whether it's for life or the pursuit of happiness. And the advice varies. I think I've settled upon the informal, though not always advised, live for no regrets philosophy. I've done some stupid things, but overall, I don't believe that I have too many regrets. Most relationships I've had, have been enriching in one way or another. Even my marriage (a good example of what not to do: don't rush, look for flags and look closely at the person versus who he surrounds himself with) yielded little G, so I've come away for the better.

Drue, is the 1st guy where I don't have it all figured out (beforehand). I want to believe in happily ever after and I do for the most part. On days, when I don't want to be presumptious, I know that we've shared enough adventures for me to be thankful for knowing him and I've met his family now. It's funny to see the differences between his family and the ex's family. Ex's family: very blue collar, no exposure to the arts. Drue's family: occupations vary from blue collar to white collar but everyone has some form of artistic interest and expression. Both large families (Drue's family is smaller by 1 kid) but the tempo seems the same: keep up if you can.

I like Drue's mother, I like his whole family whereas with the ex's family, sometimes it was a struggle. Drue's mom is pretty opinionated and honest which is refreshing. His brothers are funny and charming and while I wasn't witness to the terrors that they visited upon their youngest brother, for the most part, they seem more laid back than I would've expected. I didn't get a chance to speak to Drue's oldest sister but she seemed nice enough (let's face it; I'm more of a social slug now after the whirlwind years with the ex) and Drue's younger sister is vivacious, beautiful...a maven and a connector. It was nice to met the people that helped shape Drue and his experiences.

This CA trip was one of the best that I've had too. My ulcer merely threatened rather than a full-on episode (probably because I wasn't visiting my family) and Drue showed me the Farmer's Market, Alivera Street (sic?) and the Grove, none of which I'd seen before. We ended the night in Santa Monica which was a decent end to a good day. The Promenade in Santa Monica probably was my favorite portion of the tour, thanks to the blue palm tree lights and the live performers: men dancing the Hannukah celebratory dance and two guitarists covering Eddie Van Halen's Spanish guitar arrangements. My feet felt like bloody nubs but it was a minor irritant considering the day in its entirety. I feel like I could follow Drue anywhere. It was a beautiful trip.

This morning, I packed and I was ready to go. But I noticed between last night and this morning, how Drue's smile is luminescent. And I can get along without him, but...I'm much happier when I hear his voice. I can still fee his touch (the cynic has to give up her title; she's getting corny) and I'll be looking forward to his return.

1 Comments:

Blogger AGW said...

the feelings are mutual. twas a great time!

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home