Monday, January 01, 2007

2007 and 'How we met' stories

Ringing in 2007 was the best experience I've had in a while, as far as New Year's celebrations go. Andy (Drue...Andreas) and I went to Ten Penh with John and Jynessa. I could have skipped dinner at Ten Penh but celebrating at 18th Street Lounge was perfect! From the jazz room (though we missed the live band), to the reggae room to the DJ room, that club just oozed sophistication without being snotty. White orchids graced every table and the candles were plentiful but not overdone. There was an outdoor patio with antique chandeliers strung overhead. Even in the rain, I was in heaven.

Ten Penh, after the other restaurants that we've experienced (Eve, 2941, CitiZen) was quite the disappointment. None of the staff pulled the ladies' chairs out and I have to admit, I really appreciate the restaurants that pay attention to detail. I always heard Ten was a good place to go but I was extremely crabby over the seating arrangements: the tables were so tight that I was constantly getting bumped (and I don't mean mildly) by the waiters and waitresses hovering over the tables behind me. I half expected a beverage cart to take me out, with the amount of physical contact I was getting, and not even so much as an 'Excuse me.'

My meal was cruddy too. Andy saw that they didn't devein my shrimp and if it had been any other night, I would've sent the meal back. But, I imagined the kitchen was overloaded. The waiter never stuck around to ensure that everyone had what they wanted (John had to try to grab our waiter twice) and my dessert was as lackluster as my meal.

But...18th Street Lounge was the best. I don't know how the hell they make their Cosmos, but their mix is one of the best that I've had. We almost didn't get in the door (Andy didn't print the receipt) but the bouncer let us in and the night really took off from there.

Andy seemed happy to see me buzzed (three Cosmos -- I'm a lightweight) and after midnight, we all just bounced around in a foursome-style, manwich: it was all silly fun. I've had the best times with Andy. Everything does seem to work out when I'm with him, from the night exhibition at the Hirshorn (which I'd never seen before last fall), to his trying alternate routes successfully to get me to the Long Beach airport, an hour before my flight, to his planning the perfect New Year's (18th Street). We also saw Jim Webb at Four Sisters in Seven Corners, VA. Whether he realizes it or not, the man seems to have an immense amount of luck, in that most every experience with him is an event.

The only thing that I wish that I had done differently is I'm still a putz when it comes to "How we Met" stories. In those stories, people generally want to hear, in 20 seconds or less, why you love your partner. And I don't have the pat answer. Explaining that Drue's the most intense, amazing lover that I've ever had wouldn't be appropriate (but true). Explaining that I love Drue's passion and politics would be better, but it's got nothing to do with how we met (online). And talking about how I love his blue eyes and wicked mouth is just plain sappy (but, again, true).

After John teased Drue that I was 'slumming,' in dating Drue, Drue made cracks that I would eventually break up with him. If I had been more on the ball, I would've defended my man. I don't love when Drue's quarrelsome (and I have my rough patches too) but I do love and adore him very much. I love that I don't have to be dressed up for him to find me attractive and I love that he writes me beautiful cards. I'm surprised when he talks about being a control freak but he has been relatively good to me. There's not much that I wouldn't do for him. Should be interesting, to see what 2007 brings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home