Sunday, January 14, 2007

Pine Needles II

The pine needles are still winning. Vacuum #2 bit the dust tonight. It's one of those stupid 'cyclonic' vacuums with the permanent filter. At first, I thought the permanent filter was a blessing but now I know that it's something to be cleaned versus something to toss out. Now I need to figure out if I want to a) fix the stupid thing myself, unscrewing all the applicable parts (and of course, the dirt cup isn't swinging out the way it's supposed to), b) just buy a new vacuum cleaner with the air bags (cheap, hopefully) or c) call someone else to fix the vacuum. None of the alternatives is enticing.

Had a fabulous weekend with Andreas. Saw Kathleen Turner and Bill Irwin in the current version of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (they were outstanding and Kathleen Turner was quite formidable in her role as the abrasive, misunderstood wife and unappreciated daughter). Following the show, we hit Butterfield 9 for a fixed prix dinner of seared scallops, pork loin and toffee cheesecake. Butterfield 9 was very nice but the service was perfunctory given the late hour. I have been spoiled by Eve and the other high end restaurants. Shameful, but who's complaining?

Today we saw Children of Men and now I'd like to read the book. It's like the author took Orwell's police state one step further and addresses the basic rights that we take for granted: the right to reproduce, the right to travel freely and the general value that can be accorded to human life. It's a nice little spin that the future of mankind rests upon a minority baby girl. It'd be interesting to hear what the fundamentalists would say to that.

I know I talked Andreas' ear off about the movie (though it did take me a while to collect my thoughts). I haven't seen that thought provoking a movie since Brazil. Babel was a good movie, but it didn't come close and Requiem for a Dream was jarring but not thought provoking.

Andreas and I have such a nice rhythm. Sometimes, it seems too long before I see him but when I do see him, it's as if we're the only two people (adults) in the world, thinking, seeing, feeling and sensing. I know that's a silly conceit and I don't truly believe that but, it is a sensation I experience. The world is our oyster, etc. I'm at my happiest with him. And I'm not even ashamed that I'm such a cornball, though maybe I should be.

The only downer is that I can't travel the way we did last year. I need to be pretty conservative until I figure out what's happening with the job (our contract is up, gotta love it). Hopefully, I can afford a little fun this year, but I want to keep trips simple this year: stateside and not too far. Self restraint, not one of my favorites, but life goes on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home