Friday, January 19, 2007

You have to wonder

You have to wonder about the parents of the kid that was missing for four years, taking the talk show circuit. You have to wonder about parents willing to admit on national TV that they believe their son was sexually abused. It's now out in the public domain what that kid has survived and it's easy to imagine that not everyone is going to be sensitive about it. How is that kid going to go to school? He probably won't be viewed as normal. It's bad enough when bad things happen, but to have the whole world know about it? To have the world view and weigh in on the fact of your victimization?

Maybe the parents had a conversation prior to the show, with their son: this is what we expect will happen. And maybe, if that's the way it happened, then maybe it was for the best. But it makes me ill to think that this kid was being discussed, in his presence, about what he survived and the past four years. And what indication was there, that the kid didn't mind his being discussed so openly? It boggles the mind.

The whole case made me cringe from the start. I know the mother was happy when she was told her son had been found, but I felt like she gave false hope to other parents of missing teens, telling them to never give up and always believe. It worked out for her, but that doesn't mean it'll work out for everyone else. It would be great if things did work out for everybody, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think the worst thing about this case is the fact that the kids were older. I always want to believe that you can worry less about your kids as they age. An 11-year-old has more autonomy than an eight-year-old. And it seems like an 11-year-old would have a better chance to fight a potential abductor. I'm still looking for that easy answer.

Switching gears, have the court case today. I pray the judge will be sympathetic to my side. I'm not banking on it, since I don't have copies of paperwork I previously signed. Funny, I thought asking the losing party to pay court costs would be a deterrent to Gino. Guess not. Should be fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home