Saturday, February 17, 2007

$80K down the drain

Ugh. One of those months. Work's good and I got to stay home with G this past Tuesday and Wednesday due to G not feeling well and the weather was just plain crazy, ice everywhere. But I'm pretty bummed to discover that I can't refinance and rent, as I had hoped.

The mortgage guy had my hopes up, telling me that I could refinance my place for $1500 a month, fully amortized. I was in heaven. He even told me that my credit was closer to perfect than I previously thought, 24 points from 800. Then he started backtracking when he had difficulty pulling comps from my area. Places just aren't selling. What a rip! Assuming I'm able to sell, I'll have to settle for paying off my 1st mortgage and not my 2nd. I'll have spent more on this new kid than I'll ever spend on G prior to college. And the new kid will never see any of it! But, the new kid is the reason Andreas and I are even looking at new places.

I'm curious to see what Andreas will want, house-wise. He wants to be closer to work, as close to Chantilly as you can get. But he doesn't like cookie-cutter homes and he wants acreage which places him further from Chantilly, down towards my area. He wants at least an acre which means Davis Ford area, which is what I want. So it'll be interesting what's more important to Andreas. I admit, I have mixed feelings about Chantilly. I need to run the crime stats and I don't know anything about the schools. But the big circle I'll be making will be somewhat irritating, since I'll be dropping G off at school in Manassas/Manassas Park. I haven't even discussed daycare for the new kid. I'd like to use the same school for the new kid. They took and continue to take good care of G and I like the emphasis on emotional care and the bright colors of the infant's room. But I can resign myself to a Chantilly commute, if that's what A wants. I can't imagine him saying that he'll want a place with less than an acre: we'll see.

I'm loathe to spend much though: that $80K. That's what I get for wanting a new place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home