Sunday, February 11, 2007

charlie brown

Valentine's Day is just around the corner and I charlie brown'd our celebration weekend. I was supposed to cook a nice, romantic dinner for just the two of us. The fact is, I've talked about cooking dinner for Andreas for a year now and while my intentions have been good, things just haven't quite worked out.

Friday would have been the perfect day for us to celebrate, but the almost-brother-in-law (ABIL -having dated my sister over a year, if not two now) switched her birthday celebration from Thursday to Friday. So Friday was nixed. I comforted myself with the fact that I had Andreas' gift ready to go. My sister's, I didn't, but I figured I could swing by the bookstore, easily on the way to Andreas'.

Traffic wasn't great on the way home, I took longer cleaning up my place for Andreas (though I'll never be tidy enough for him) and I had no gift for El, while realizing that we'd have to drive to Silver Spring versus DC for El's bash. I now had no time to run to the store for El and I was rationalizing and cursing myself, of course. A's gift becomes El's gift and wouldn't you know it, Andreas got me the most thoughtful gift: two beautifully framed photographs -- one of G and one of G and me.

Saturday, I console myself, I will rebuy Andreas' gift and he'll like it because he had asked for it. But we see Pan's Labryinth (which I hated since it's about a sociopath during the fascist/Communist war in Spain and I thought it was supposed to be more of a fantasy movie) and we spend too much time looking at houses. I am tired and useless by the time we return to my place and I wonder how many special occasions I can flub for Andreas.

The cake and the cannolis that I had bought from Wild Flour were lackluster, which was a shock, given that their other food is amazing: incredible homemade soups and killer pastas. All I had for Andreas was a card. A store bought card that he had to squint over, given my squiggly writing. And people think I'm nice.

And I'm mad because Josie has asked me for a favor, reviewing a requirements document and she's never asked me for a favor before so I said yes before verifying it's length: 90 pages. I did tell her I would only provide comment versus fixing it, but I'm still mad at myself. It's the weekend and I'm working.

Life is silly and I need to be better about avoiding or just laughing about my charlie brown moments. I've a feeling that I will be a remedial student in this area, though. Still alive though. Still breathing. And it's hysterical to imagine how life will change with the new kid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home