Saturday, March 10, 2007

Bad divorces / New Homes

While my divorce was pretty rough, at least I didn't have to go through this: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17545638/?GT1=9145 .
Some guy sawing his house in half is extreme. But, life goes on.

So the new house hunt is getting interesting. A seems fond of a house that was built in '61. It is a beautiful house, 4 bedroom, 3.5 bath but it's not selling: there's no master bath, minimal closet space. And I'm unhappy that the laundry facilities are in the garage and I'm concerned that our cars will be a tight fit. A laughed, but SUVs weren't made in the 60's. I could see my Subaru would be a tight fit, I can't imagine his Ford making it into the garage without a ding. But worst of all, there's not much space for a play area, not much of a rec room. And I don't want to own a place that we'd have trouble selling.

Went house hunting today with Erin and saw the sickest house re: space: a 5-bedroom, 4.5 bath that is owned by a graphic designer. Her color choice was impeccable and she went nuts with custom options. There was plenty of office space and play space (the kids' loft was AMAZING) and the master bedroom and sitting area were INSANE, bigger than what I had before. For space, that house is what I want. It's down the street from a community swimming pool and basketball courts. Drawbacks are: it's in a new community, which I know A hates and it's not an ideal place to commute from since it's off 95, and I haven't clocked its distance from 66 and 28. I don't even know the schools in that area. But it's a corner lot and did I mention the interior space? It's also off a peninsula, so you can walk to the water/marina and a state park: http://www.newhomesource.com/search/community_detail.aspx?refer=DMR302&cid=29554 .

The house that I think A and I can FINALLY agree on is off Kahn's Rd. It's in the ideal school district and it's on 2 acres, mostly wooded. The interior has a kitchen that's quite big (electric stoves, natch and a Corian counter, ick) but the pine floors are custom and make the house. Pine floors for the main level and a gorgeous dining nook in the kitchen. Nice screened porch. Drawbacks are red neck touches like an old above ground tank of some sort (not sure what it was) and a chain link fence but the fence can be removed and the tank can be hidden with landscaping. Assuming A can have his office upstairs, G and baby W can have their play area downstairs. There's also a shed that looks like it could be turned into a playhouse.

The graphic designer house I like a lot too, but I need to learn more about the schools and I don't know that A would be sold on the amenities when the commute could be an issue. And I know his love for new communities. But the 2 acre-house, so nice!

I also saw homes off Bren Forest which is the best commute location in the Davis Ford area. Within 5 minutes of PW Pkwy and right off the Davis Ford corridor, the homes are spaced apart on several acres. The 1st house was a white colonial that also had a lot of space. A might like the pool though I laughed when I saw it: above ground. I spent $20K blocking out a former neighbor's above ground pool, so the irony would be a bit thick for me. But the owner built a multi-level deck around it, so that was cool. The home owner apparently did drugs when it came to picking colors. Purple everywhere, on the walls, in the drapes. It's like Barney puked everywhere. Green carpets, ugh. Light fixtures were horribly tacky. But I liked the granite countertops and the space was nice.

It'll be interesting to see what A likes. I do hope it's the 2-acre house. The white colonial wouldn't be bad either. The graphic designer house...well...that's a toughy. But I love space. The schools, though. My former house would've been 6K sq ft, fully finished. My ex finished the basement for his friend, 2 bachelors from upstate NY (the injustice). I'll always dream of the graphic designer house (but my old house had a better lot, 2 acres with mature trees). I think A and I can do quite nicely in the new 2-acre house. Even if the kitchen has Corian counters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home