Sunday, August 12, 2007

On fear, honeymoon and kids

It's funny, when you're afraid, not quite sure how things will turn out and you take that leap and things turn out so much better than you ever could have expected or hoped for. I was pretty concerned about G adjusting to living with Andrew, afraid that we'd have more than our share of conflicts but things have been more than reasonable thus far. G still wakes up about 6:30a.m. [ugh] but we have our routine down cold. He pops his head in, I know to rouse myself, tuck him back into bed for another half hour [ideally] and then I camp out on a sleeper mattress, so G has reassurance I'm close by. People can say it's overkill, but it's been working well.

G has named A's pictures. The Asian style picture with colored blocks and interspersed calligraphy style marks has been dubbed 'messy picture.' An acrylic of A's street near a former house has been dubbed 'the road.' The only real adjustment now is all of us adjusting to Jack, once he arrives.

A and I have had quite the honeymoon. The wedding was perfect though I know G was tired. Foundation did such a beautiful job with the meal: Thai scallops and helping me tend G, taking him on a tour of the kitchen and giving him colored doubloons. And the cake -- I want to order more- strawberry cake with hints of key lime and coconut...crazy good. But the honeymoon: A and I went to NYC, of course, and while I did have difficulty walking thanks to the evergrowing belly, we hit the Met museum, Cooper Hewitt, SoHo for a tour of the tenements....Food-wise, we hit Mario Vitalli's restaurant Bacca[?] - I'm bad with names- , Pizza Neapolitano [ a new favorite] and Le Bernadine - heaven on earth.

The hotel was insane too: Hotel Rivington. We had a 9th floor corner room with views of the Brooklyn and Manahattan bridges on the lower East side. Japanese style bathroom, nice balcony, though I couldn't bear to look down. I want to stay there from now on, what hotel could possibly compare?

I'm wondering these days if I'm going to make it to Sept 19, Jack's big day. Everyone is eyeing the belly and telling me Jack will be early. I'm not sure what to say. But the facts are, he's a strong kid, my jumping bean [G was so mellow in the womb!] and I struggle to wak these days. Everyone at work is threatening to get me a motor scooter. I'm hoping I do make it to the 19th so the boys can at least share the 19th as their birthdays. That would be cool. And while G is virtually a carbon copy of me, I'm hoping Jack is more like A. One kid with my fears is enough. And, I'll be surpised if Jack isn't 80th or more on the percentile scale for growth. Half the time, it feels like he'll kick his way out. But I'm grateful for both kids, may they both be healthy and happy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Michelle,

This is Tom Hillman (use to be at ATT, been with HP 5 years now). You and my Michele should swap ex stories (I am Michele's 2nd husband). Contact me at: thomas.hillman@hp.com or hillmant@ieee.org. I would love to catch up with you. Congratulations on the new marriage; I hope it turns out well for you.

Warm regards,
Tom Hillman

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home